League of Women Voters Hosts Nevada County Board of Supervisors District 2 Candidate Forum

Robb Tucker, John Herrera, and Jeff Pettitt participate in the Board of Supervisors District 2 candidate forum

NEVADA COUNTY—On January 24, 2024, the Nevada County League of Women Voters hosted a candidate forum for the candidates for Nevada County supervisor district two. Robb Tucker, John Herrera, and Jeff Pettitt responded to questions regarding their qualifications and the suitability of the four candidates that are seeking a four-year term on the next Board of Supervisors.  Supervisor district two consists of Alta Sierra, Lake of the Pines, and other south county areas of Nevada County. The Nevada County League of Women Voters’ forum took place at the Board of Supervisors’ chambers in Nevada City from 6:00-7:30 p.m.

Jason Tedder, also a candidate for supervisor district two, declined to participate in the Nevada County League of Women Voters’ forum on principle. On Facebook, on January 8, 2024, Tedder explained his declination as follows:

Today I declined the Nevada County League of Women Voters’ invitation to speak at their candidate forum. Here is why…

Their reach is very small, only a couple hundred highly political people watch the forum live or replay the videos. This group of people already knows who they will be voting for.

I asked LWV who their members were, and they declined. Additionally, I asked to see their books and they declined that as well. 

To me, any organization that wants to be the gatekeepers of democracy (our Republic) should be very open with who gives them money and who they have working for them. I do not believe that they are non-partisan and I do not support their parent organization’s stance on many issues that they lobby/advocate for.

Unlike the previous night when around 70 citizens attended the candidate forum for supervisor district one, only about 40 people attended the candidate forum for supervisor district two. The co-president of the Nevada County League of Women Voters, Jan Bedayn, opened the evening and introduced moderator, and local criminal defense attorney, Jennifer Granger. In her introduction, Bedayn stated that “democracy works best when there is a civil and respectful exchange of ideas, thoughts and visions, and information and it is in this spirit that we provide these forums.”

Thereafter, Granger instructed each candidate that they had two minutes for their opening statement before launching into questions. After their statements, candidates were given one minute for their response to each question with the opportunity to use two rebuttals whenever they wanted.

Introductory Remarks

Tucker: After thanking the LWV and the other candidates, Tucker gave a brief biography explaining that he was born in Nevada County next to the Golden Chain motel. As a result, he has no address on his Nevada County birth certificate which only states that he was born “in a residence, Highway 49 South next to the Golden Chain Motel.” Tucker is as local as local gets attending Bear River High School as a member of the first class to attend all four years at the new school. Tucker graduated from Pepperdine University and Wheaton College’s graduate school and ran a local business for upwards of two decades. He has three children with his wife, Christie. Many of his friends left Nevada County and the state as a result of the quality of life and cost of living here. As such, maintaining the same quality of life for his children that he had growing up in Nevada County is his main driver for running for office.

Herrera: After thanking the LWV, and similar to Tucker, Herrera provided a rich biography explaining that his family came from Mexico in the 1940’s. Herrera grew up working in family owned businesses from which he derived the values of hard work, high ethics, and morals. Though Herrera is originally from Ventura County, he has been a resident of Nevada County for 40 years. When he moved here, he fell in love with this community and his wife of 36 years sharing two children and five grandchildren. At the age of 36, Herrera had “a calling for law enforcement” and, after the academy, worked as an officer in the Marysville Police Department. Later the Grass Valley Police Department, in need of a bilingual officer, hired Herrera who did not learn English until he was eight years old. After his 20 year law enforcement career, Herrera desires to continue his tradition of service as a supervisor for district two.

Pettitt: After also thanking the LWV, Pettitt described that he and his wife, Holly, moved to Nevada County about 25 years ago after his six-year enlistment in the Navy in order to be closer to family and raise their children “in this beautiful county.” Pettitt detailed that he worked for the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office for 22 years retiring as a captain. He is honored to have led every division in the sheriff's office, worked with community members and with other agencies to help the county, and served as the public information officer in the absence of the sheriff. Pettitt asserted that he managed the upgrade of the security system at the Wayne Brown facility from analog to digital. He also managed the Office of Emergency Services in Nevada County which office is charged with coordinating with other jurisdictions in preparation of emergencies and to help the community during times of emergency. He also assisted in securing federally earmarked funds to upgrade the county’s law enforcement radio infrastructure.

Board of Supervisors District 2 candidate forum

Complaints About Excessive Salaries for County Officials

Tucker: “It’s important that we really value the county employees. They’re hard working families like the rest of us. But as I’ve talked to people in my district, it’s something that comes up a lot. And I think part of it is because of the waste that people see at the state level, feeling like maybe the government isn’t looking out for the taxpayers.” He said that since dozens of county executives are paid more than the Governor of California, it needs to be looked at. Tucker concluded that the supervisors must be watchdogs for the local taxpayers.

Herrera: As president of the Grass Valley Police Officers Association, he has been in government negotiations for other incentives and programs and asserts that he has never heard of a government official being paid in excess. While he is unfamiliar with the complaints about excessive county salaries, Herrera contends that “of the thousands of people that I’ve talked to, and hundreds daily, I’ve never heard anyone express that we get overpaid or our government officials are paid in excess.” Herrera believes that county executive salaries are comparable based on salary surveys in our region. “You get what you pay for in life. If you get the lowest bidder, you’re gonna get the lowest quality.”

Pettitt: Unlike Herrera who was unaware of the complaints and acknowledging that the issue of excessive county salaries came up in the forum on the previous day, a supervisor’s job is to be involved in these negotiations with the “various bargaining units as well as the senior staff.”  Pettitt contends that the county pays comparable salaries based on what other counties are paying and are stewards of the taxpayer dollars. “Sometimes it does cost to get those higher performing employees here. Really it’s what the citizens demand and what the people here want.” 

While Recent Local Measures for the Higgins Fire District Have Failed, Are There Any Other Funding Options?

Herrera: Fire safety is of primary concern to most residents according to Herrera. “In regards to the Higgins Corner, I’m not well-versed in that area when it comes to what’s been discussed, but based on my training experience and my own assessment of the area, I believe that it is not a high-priority danger zone, however I do believe there are legitimate concerns in regards to public safety and fire in that area.” 

Pettitt:  In the Higgins Fire District, the parcel fee is $25 per parcel and has been since the 1980s. “I believe there is something we need to do to fund that fire department.” Pettitt believes the Higgins Fire District does need funding beyond the $25 level and that such level is unsustainable. Pettitt asserts that the funding could come from the federal government or the state level, but we cannot continue to fund it at $25 per parcel.

Tucker: Fire safety and emergency preparedness is one of the most important issues according to Tucker. Arguing that there’s public skepticism because Measure V left a lot of people disenchanted, since Nevada County framed the failed measure as a special fire tax when it was actually a general tax for general county purposes. The County process regarding measures needs to be introduced in a way on which the community can come together.

Nevada County General Plan—Is It Still Aligned with Community Goals?

Pettitt: “Plans here in the County are meant to be living plans.” Plans should be looked at every five years. If plans are not updated we risk failing to get federal and state funding. “We can’t afford to do that. We need to make sure our plans are up to date.” 

Tucker: Housing is a huge issue. The general plan is definitely in need of an update. “If entry-level workers can’t afford to live, businesses are going to go elsewhere, families are going to move elsewhere.” It would be catastrophic to have another example of the state taking over where the local government should lead.

Herrera: “The Board of Supervisors have touched on that last week.” General Plans need to be revisited more frequently. “There’s a lot that’s going to change this year.” 

Pettitt Rebuttal: “It’s not as if the County has ignored the General Plan. There are elements that have been updated, including the housing element which was just updated, I believe, two years ago, or maybe even sooner. But there’s still a lot of that plan that still needs to be looked at and at least signed off that it is valid, it is still what the community needs.” 

Changes or Amendments to the Cannabis Ordinance?

Tucker: Illegal grows are an issue and “have no place here.” Legal grows in residential areas has become an issue as well. We need to update and revisit the cannabis ordinance to address those two issues. After that, look at the administrative process for the legal grows.  

Herrera: The permitted commercial and non-commercial grows pop up in really nice neighborhoods. Prop 64 provides finance and endorsement for the sheriff’s department to address these issues. Prop 64 opened the door and the County failed to plan ahead for the loopholes we are facing now. Needs to be looked at by citizens, especially in homeowner association areas. 

Pettitt: Residential grows are not permitted. Mentioned the case of three cannabis commercial grows surrounding one local resident, the major problem being how close to the property line they grow. We need to think about covenants and restrictions when we are permitting these grows.

How Can Supervisors Increase Affordable Housing for Low-Income, Seniors, and the Workforce?

Herrera: There’s always something we can do, but it comes to available funding. The County can come up with a more streamlined process for permits/zoning. There are issues with the county and inconsistencies in enforcement. 

Pettitt: We need to look at permitting fees and once the contractor finishes the initial process they should not have to go through an elongated permitting process. We need the infrastructure to support more housing. We need to advocate at the state and federal level to rein in the cost of fire insurance. 

Tucker: His family was the largest provider of senior affordable housing in the county. In 2016 he developed another 62 spaces, “a beautiful neighborhood.” He had to deal with the state, the county, and fees. The affordable mobile homes were not profitable after all that had to be done. Supports incentives for developers working on affordable housing. The county needs a “can-do” culture and not the culture in the building department now. Wait times are too long. 

Would You Support Revising Building Codes for Homeless Living in Unpermitted Buildings?

Herrera: As an officer, I have probably come into contact with thousands of homeless. While we have a lot of people who are homeless but able, they like to live homeless. We need to help people that want to work.

Pettitt: Has also worked in law enforcement and has seen people living the best they can with what they have. These are not people coming from the Bay Area deciding to be homeless here, but these are  people who are in the workforce. We also have a responsibility to protect the health and safety of residents. 

Tucker: “We had 372 homes at Forest Springs—that’s over 500 residents—and I’ll tell you, I’m someone who did a lot of development, I did a lot of projects,” and it was almost impossible to get an ADU. It’s critical that the County and building department become a welcoming place that treats people fairly. People should feel like the County is on their side. 

Herrera Rebuttal: The current Board of Supervisors is going about it completely the wrong way. They are taking the homeless and putting them directly into a home. Homeless people have lost their skills. Housing is great but not having living skills is not helping anyone. Spoke about a woman who was given housing, but didn’t know how to cook and almost burned down the residence.

How Can the County Collaborate with NID to Extend Lines and also to Keep Telephone Landlines?

Herrera: NID is an amazing organization. They are transparent and trustworthy.  As far as cellular companies, I would like to get other companies to come into the area because some of the ones here are horrible.

Pettitt:  We can work with NID, but we have to acknowledge the availability of water from NID.  With regard to plain old telephone lines, the state wants to get rid of the lines. We need to keep those lines in service.

Tucker: Infrastructure is a critical element to housing and vitally important to get state and federal funds for that. NID is great and accountable to the citizens, but the County needs to protect citizens from exploitation by monopolies related to infrastructure.

Do You Think the County Budget is Responsibly Managed?

Pettitt: There is adequate oversight, and a percent of the County budget is brought before the citizens every year through subcommittees. Most of the money comes from the state to do state-mandated tasks. He would keep an eye on funds that are not pass-through funds. Sometimes funding comes through at mid-year when it should have been budgeted earlier through the proper committee.

Tucker: One of the Board of Supervisors’ most important roles is watchdog for taxpayers. Community is frustrated with improper spending. “When they see our money being spent in a way that just doesn’t seem to add up.” The Ranch House project outside has come up repeatedly: the County has spent $4.4 million to add only three units to house six additional citizens. “Even if that money is free money coming from the state, which it isn’t, it’s taxpayer money, I think people want to see a little more transparency and accountability.”  

Herrera: Are they managing the funds correctly? He says he hasn’t looked at the books, so he doesn’t know. The County does an amazing job with the little amount it has. The money is mostly passed through from the state and feds and not from local citizens. Notes a lack of transparency. 

Should the County Pass Resolutions about Social or Political Issues over which the Board of Supervisors has No Authority?

Herrera: Crusades related to social or political issues over which the Board of Supervisors has no authority are a waste of time.

Pettitt: The Board of Supervisors has the ability to pass social or political resolutions. Resolutions need to reflect the community if we pass them. Advocacy of these issues is possible by projecting the will of people.

Tucker:  Social and political issues are important, but I don't know if the board resolutions are appropriate for the Board of Supervisors if they have no real authority. As citizens we should focus on these issues, but the Board of Supervisors should focus on county issues. 

Closing

Tucker: Tucker is not a politician but a businessman, and as such, he is different and needed in the county. Over the years and considering the policies of the State of California, he wondered if his parents would have moved here in this current condition. His business experience is needed on the Board of Supervisors. www.robbtucker.com 

Herrera: Herrera is deeply dedicated to this community as a police officer and hopefully a supervisor.  He promises to work on economic development and public safety and will work hard for this community by bringing his work ethic to Nevada County government. Herrera concluded that together we can build a stronger, more vibrant Nevada County. www.herreraforsupervisor.com

Pettitt:  Rotary has a motto of service above self. Pettitt has been a member of multiple nonprofits and charitable organizations and will represent district two according to the same Rotary motto.  www.pettittforsupervisor.com

Previous
Previous

County CEO Makes More than State Governor

Next
Next

League of Women Voters Hosts Board of Supervisors District 1 Candidate Forum